Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving...

...was a delicious nightmare. I managed to avoid sugar, which was a miracle unto itself, and I took an unbelievably delicious raw cashew fudge to the party which went over well. That's my new pie-aversion tactic. Fudge. It makes sense...in a way.

I got another 50lbs of Valencia oranges this weekend, and just like I'd hoped, my distant relative came through for me BIG TIME on Thanksgiving, not only bringing me an entire laundry detergent bucket overflowing with persimmons that fell from his tree (these bad boys are the size of my FIST!), but also surprising me with a grocery bag filled with unshelled WALNUTS. Evidently he's got a walnut tree, as well. It's amazing the kind of high end food you can get for free out there in that big, wide open world outside the computer. I like to visit every now and then.

I'm officially dragging my children down with me. Specifically, we are no longer buying commercial rice/soy/almond milk or green juices. I'm using my own juicer daily now, and it's really cheaper AND better to just make an extra glass of carrot/orange/spinach juice every morning and put it in a covered jar in the fridge for the day. They can't get enough of it. They do not, however, enjoy sunflower seed milk, no matter what I use to dress it up, so we'll probably start making almond and cashew milk from now on. Even for the price of cashews, it will still be cheaper, and anyway, do you know how hard it is to find a decent nut mylk that isn't made with sugar/carageenan/emulsifiers? It's ridiculous. The whole point of not drinking cow's milk is to avoid drinking poison, so why drink an "alternative poison", cooked and processed and loaded with unhealthy non-fruit sugars? Homemade, raw, whole nut mylks are actually really good for children (not unlimited), not to mention insanely fast and easy to make AND cheaper than their store-bought counterparts.

This all began when I got super excited to see actual HEMP MYLK for sale at Trader Joe's, only to let out a disappointed sigh at the sight of the ingredients list. Screw you guys. I'll do it myself. Also, I've recently taken an interest in pursuing pediatric nutrition. I did study it in school, but I'd love to expand on that foundation. I'm thinking about ordering "Creating Healthy Children". Anybody read it? It's difficult to find children's nutrition books that aren't riddled with misinformation and USDA propaganda.

I'm excited to try something today for lunch I read in "The 80/10/10 Diet". You know that chopped banana/date sauce thing I love to eat? Yeah, why did I never think to add carob powder to the sauce? I swear, every time I go through the yearly menu in the book, I see another genius combination of foods I've forgotten about. You really wouldn't think to look in there for recipes, but some of that stuff if GOLD. Especially the salad dressing ideas. Pineapple blended with raw tahini? Yes, please!

Today I'm having:

Breakfast: Juice of 11 oranges, 4 carrots, 1/2 cucumber, and 2 inches of fresh ginger root

Lunch: Bananas covered in date/carob sauce

Second Lunch: 6 large Fuyu persimmons

Dinner: I'm out of lettuce, so I'll probably come up with some sort of veggie soup. Idk yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment