Thursday, September 15, 2011

Dr Neal Barnard's Sacramento Lecture!

On Tuesday night I had the privilege of attending an awesome event: Dr Neal Barnard's Weight Loss Kickstart tour stop in Sacramento! He gave an amazing speech in front of over 200 people at The Artisan building, just 3 miles from my home. I went early since I knew it would be crowded, but I had no idea just how many peple would attend. Anxious attendees spilled through the doorways after the seats were filled, hovering in the hallways to watch. I managed to grab a seat!

Dr Barnard is an accomplished physician and writer, but I had no idea what an amazing speaker he is! The lecture lasted well over an hour, but he kept the audience engaged with admittedly funny anecdotes about his childhood and family in the midst of the wealth of information he shared about health and wellness. It was a powerful talk, complete with power point charts and graphs to highlight the issues of obesity and disease he is working to combat. I was surprised to learn that Dr Barnard plans on taking his nutritional education efforts worldwide, starting up programs in India and China in addition to maintaining his strong presence here in America. In fact, a good portion of his talk was devoted to the Westernization of other countries, and their subsequent decrease in wellness and rise in Western disease.

His new book is titled "21 Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health" and is available now. I haven't read this particular book of his, but I'm anxious to get my hands on it so I can begin recommending it to clients. I agree with Neal Barnard's research and nutritional standpoints so closely it's almost like listening to myself speak with case studies and clients about issues like protein, calcium, and B12 absorbency. However, Dr Barnard is far from the "typical vegan". It's great to see him reach such a wide audience, including those from the older generation who might hear the word "vegan" and immediately shut down. The health and wellness community worldwide is lucky to have such an accomplished, educated, and passionate individual at the forefront of our public movement.

Thank you to Dr. Barnard, PCRM, and his staff for offering this fun and informative lecture for FREE to the general public! Go to his website here to find out if he'll be at a city near you, and be sure to bring all of your close friends and relatives. This lecture is geared towards those with little to no background in nutrition, and will inspire even the most stubborn of SAD eaters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment