Friday, November 27, 2009

Seasonal eating and magnet therapy...

It's about this time of year that I start to slow down. The days become noticeably shorter, leaves begin to fall, and I find myself sleeping in a little more each day. Foods become warmer, and I begin to turn inward and become less active, embracing the peaceful energy of the coming winter, as opposed to the vibrant energy of summer. Watching the leaves fall from the trees inspires me to look at my life and consider shedding the parts of myself that I no longer need, as well.

I firmly believe in eating seasonally. While I definitely enjoy the benefits of modern farming and the ability to enjoy a watermelon in November, I follow my natural instincts which lead me to eating less sweet fruits, such as apples, persimmons, lemons, and the abundance of winter squashes and dark greens that are so iconic in these steady months. The ripe cherries, sweet melons, and peaches are gone, leaving behind seeds that will lie dormant until the sun begins it's journey again next year. It gives me a feeling of security, knowing that no matter what madness is going on in my life, the dependable march of the seasons remains unchanged. Growing up on a house with acres devoted to seasonal foods such as cherries, plums, apples, oranges and tangerines has instilled within me a true sense of alignment with seasonal life.

No matter how far we remove ourselves from those natural rhythms, they are inescapable, because they come from within as well as from without. Even in the giant metropolis, the trees will shed their leaves, the sun will rise later and later, and we as humans will celebrate the feasting winter holidays, no matter what names we give them.

The magnetic pull of the earth contributes greatly to our health. This magnetic force, measured on the Gauss scale, is weakening as time goes by, diminishing from over 2.0 hundreds of thousands of years ago, to a mere 0.5 in recent times, and is ever dwindling. As this force decreases we are seeing an increase in a wide array of disease, including the introduction of diseases never before recorded in human history. You may have seen certain magnetic products for sale in holistic and health food shops. There are magnetic bracelets, water treatments, joint wraps and even mattress pads which have helped to heal or provide relief for numerous ailments that were otherwise "untreatable". If you suffer from chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, or other illness where the source of your aches and pains are a mystery, magnetic therapy may be an option for you to investigate.

By the way, how was your Thanksgiving? If you're anything like me, you took full advantage of the holiday and went nuts, eating everything in sight. However, I'm back to my happy little self today, thanks to a few tricks that helped to get my digestive system back on track while completely avoiding over the counter drugs.

First things first: plan ahead! The morning of Thanksgiving, hours before eating anything, I primed myself by taking a good probiotic supplement AND drinking a few ounces of Kombucha. It's not an excuse to go nuts, it's just plain smart. Now, if you really tank the food and make yourself sick, here's a few more things that I do around this time of year to keep everything running smoothly.

For that morning after tummy ache or nausea, drink a full glass of water with one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to eliminate discomfort and correct pH levels.

On an empty stomach in the morning (I do this every morning without fail), drink one liter of purified water with fresh squeezed lemon juice. This makes for a very happy liver.

Herbs to have on hand are ginger, peppermint, and fennel, all of which will soothe the digestive system and taste wonderful as a hot infusion. Enteric coated peppermint oil capsules are something to try for hardcore stomach aches.

Fruit, baby. It's my go-to healer and the perfect food for humans. Eating a fruit-only breakfast will give you tons of energy and drag those fiber-less Thanksgiving foods right out of your colon.

Here is my after Thanksgiving breakfast

Photobucket

Persimmons, the greatest fruit in the world. Best morning EVAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment